Prepare yourself with Alabama Flood Insurance
Art Glasgow, Peck-Glasgow Insurance
While the cold of winter is still with us as I write today’s blog, spring will be here soon. As you all know spring means seasonal rainy days and the possibility of floods. Remember that only a flood insurance policy will cover your property in the event of flooding, rising water and back up of surface water. The flood insurance peril is specifically excluded from your Alabama Homeowner Insurance Policy and dwelling policy.
To prepare for a flood, you should:
- Build an emergency kit and make a family communications plan
- Avoid building your home in a floodplain
- If needed build barriers to stop flood water, elevate and reinforce your home.
- Elevate your furnace, central unit and hot water heaters.
- Check the drains around your home for items that may block or restrict water flow.
- Seal basement walls with a water proofing paint or compound.
- Most importantly, Buy Flood Insurance! It is easy, and often inexpensive to purchase. Simply contact your Peck-Glasgow Insurance Specialist to assist you.